Life-long learning

thelearningprofessor John Field's blog

• Adult Education under Pandemic Conditions: Challenges & Perspectives
    by thelearningprofessor on May 5, 2021 at 10:35 am

Across the world, the pandemic has transformed adult education. After over a year, some governments are looking at a falling number of infections, and starting to relax restrictions; elsewhere, the situation is deteriorating. It seems as good time as any … Continue reading →

• Reading in Lockdown 2.0: The fourth month
    by thelearningprofessor on April 25, 2021 at 8:00 am

26 March – 25 April I seem to have read more than usual this month, though I’ve no idea why. However, I’ve not yet finished Jill Lepore’s excellent survey of America’s past (it’s long, unsurprisingly). Fiction Shalom Auslander, Hope: A … Continue reading →

• Worlds apart: Education and Britain’s inequality problem
    by thelearningprofessor on April 1, 2021 at 8:57 am

All in this together? The COVID-19 pandemic is still with us, and seems likely to be a part of our lives, in some form, for some time to come. It has… Worlds apart: Education and Britain’s inequality problem

• Reading in lockdown 2.0
    by thelearningprofessor on March 25, 2021 at 7:00 am

26 February – 25 March Fiction Edna O’Brien, Girl Klaus-Peter Wolf, Ostfriesenzorn Lucy Foley, The Hunting Party Daniel Kehlmann, Tyll Ella Danz, Osterfeuer Non-fiction Jill Lepore, These Truths: A history of the United States Rob White, BFI Film Classics: The … Continue reading →

• A digital citizenship agenda for educators
    by thelearningprofessor on March 13, 2021 at 1:03 pm

“Greater digital literacy is often the recommendation for dealing with the effects of social media within society, but this ignores the fact that … A digital citizenship agenda for educators

Adult Education & Adult Learning Theory This is a place to discuss Adult Learning Theory, Adult Education, Corporate Trainers, etc.

• Should I go for a costly Marketing degree in the UK when I already have 5 years of experience in Content (which comes in Marketing technically) and plan to move to the UK on a dependent visa after I get married to my boyfriend?
    by /u/LizaSchrader on June 15, 2021 at 6:22 am

I have 5 years of experience in content and digital marketing and I am good at it. I have enrolled for an MSc degree course in Marketing and Brand management in Kingston University. But looking at the expenses and the effort to move so far on my own, I am a little confused about it, especially because; A] My fiancé is studying computer engineering and graduates with an MSc in Jan 2022. He too has prior work experience and will find a visa sponsored job relatively easily. We plan to get married soon after he graduates and finds a job, so I will get a dependent visa. B] I would love to move to the UK sooner, but the degree is not like my only way to move there. So is it worth spending the money? C] I have a great job here and I am confident in my skills. I can easily upskill, get a few certifications and enroll for some short courses to get all the knowledge offered in the MSc degree. D] I already have a bachelors degree in information management and a post graduate degree in English. Should I still go for a masters degree or keep on with my current job here and look for jobs on a dependent visa? How difficult is it to get a job with an employer that sponsors a tier 2 visa? Very confused since mine is not a STEM domain. I would love the insight of anyone and everyone living in the UK and has travelled in the same boat or is a hiring manager etc. submitted by /u/LizaSchrader [link] [comments]

• Man vs Machine in Education
    by /u/Neetin_A on May 21, 2021 at 9:57 am

70% of people hit the snooze button of an alarm clock. What does this tell us about the future of education? As AI/ML engulfs the world, will machines replace the teachers as well? Anyone who has tasted the stock market knows well how we humans can be over-bullish or over-bearish. On this topic, there are people on both the sides. submitted by /u/Neetin_A [link] [comments]

• Where can I get insider information into the state of higher education technology?
    by /u/InternationalFlan960 on May 21, 2021 at 9:37 am

submitted by /u/InternationalFlan960 [link] [comments]

• University Admission help
    by /u/InternationalFlan960 on May 21, 2021 at 9:35 am

submitted by /u/InternationalFlan960 [link] [comments]

• Is anyone interested in taking a financial market crash course?
    by /u/Glad-Customer8076 on May 21, 2021 at 6:03 am

submitted by /u/Glad-Customer8076 [link] [comments]

Sam Shepherd ESOL, Learning,and FE

• (No) Going Back
    by Sam Shepherd on March 22, 2021 at 11:04 pm

It’s a year more or less since the UK went into lockdown for the first time, and covid-19 really took hold here. College closed, as did my children’s schools, all with about three days to get ready for a transition to entirely online learning. In September we came back to a 50/50 blended learning model,

• “Double Handy” Online Emergent Language.
    by Sam Shepherd on February 10, 2021 at 10:50 am

Sometimes things happen in the most unlikely of places. I’ve been teaching an ICT course online for the last few weeks, which, given that the students are all accessing the course via their phones means no practical PC based ICT stuff (keyboard skills, that sort of thing), but more “theoretical”. It’s meant to be practical

• Not what I thought I was going to say – Reflection on a formally observed lesson
    by Sam Shepherd on January 19, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I had my formal lesson observation this week, and as is usual with this, it’s good to have a proper reflect on it before discussing it with the observer. What is (I hope) unique about this one, is that it’s the only one I’ve had of a live online lesson. It’s the online-ness, I think,

• Online again…naturally.
    by Sam Shepherd on January 11, 2021 at 9:01 pm

All hopes of a new term in class with students have, of course, been dashed. It’s a toughie, because I’m still not convinced that online can or should replace classroom based teaching, and it’s certainly not something I enjoy. It is tempting to pin this blame on the fact that my students are operating with

• MPhil Reflections – November 2020
    by Sam Shepherd on November 27, 2020 at 11:04 am

I’d really forgotten what this was like. My first experience with this kind of formalised research was back in 2011, when I did the LSIS Research & Development Fellowship, and then another project in the interim, the results of which are here. On the face of it, perhaps, it would appear odd that I never

X